Friday, December 7, 2007

Why we Should Spend Time Helping to Educate Students with Learning Disabilities

Aside from working with my family at the Basile Builders Group, I spend time working on organizing The Joe DiMaggio Award Gala, which is the major fundraiser for Xaverian. By the way, its programs for students with learning disabilities, including the Ryken Program, is presently adopted by the New York State Regents as the model of all such endeavors.

Xaverian High School offers the very best in secondary education not only in New York City, but throughout New York State. The school serves young men from disadvantaged backgrounds, boys with learning disabilities and students that are in financial need. In fact, if it were not for the generosity of alumni, parents and friends, many of these students would not be able to afford a quality, college-preparatory education.

Approximately 10 percent of the Xaverian enrollment includes students with learning difficulties, but Xaverian is one of only four schools, and the only Catholic school, to offer the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB) Program. Created for the children of diplomats, students who graduate with an IB Diploma may be eligible to enter Ivy League schools as sophomores. Of the Class of 2005, 25 percent matriculated to Ivy League schools or the equivalent.

The Joe DiMaggio committee that I am on raises money to help financially challenged families give their children a good education. I have been part of this group of community minded individuals who donate time for eight years.

Another influential person in my life has been Deepak Chopra. I have read many of his books and enjoy the fact that Chopra talks about the Law of Dharma and how we are here to discover our higher self or spiritual self.

This prompted me to ask myself, “Who is Rocco Basile and what is his talent?” How can I serve? I decided that I can serve by sharing my experiences and showing others how to live a life of ethics, morals and a strong sense of principal. There is tranquility and happiness in a life that you can be proud of.

One of the elements that I realized is so critical to this process is that it begins with education. I firmly believe that educating our youth and being a role model gives them an understanding of this principal.

No comments: