Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Cycle of Poverty Broken: One Family at a Time

In Brooklyn New York, it is hard to believe that one in three families are living in poverty. But since 1981, the charity at which I am on the Board of Directors - Children of the City - has served the underprivileged children.

The organization started out as a children’s prevention outreach in the early years, but our services have evolved to include trauma intervention, counseling, an after-school and summer program, courtroom and legal advocacy, social work, guardianship, financial counseling, youth mentoring, and other as-needed services to help children and their families achieve success in education, social relationships, home, financial and career.

Almost half of the students who have participated in this program believe it helped them from getting involved in drugs.

Family volunteers like Robert and Maritza Fred have helped to raise over 25 foster children within the Children of the City program, and several of whom they have legally adopted. Maritza is lively and loquacious. They have made a life long commitment to help restore families, as volunteers.

When the kids come home from school Robert takes them to the park. Later it’s time to sit around the kitchen table with Maritza to do homework, read and talk about their day. The Freds treat all of the children equitably, making them feel safe and secure about their place in a loving, nurturing household.

As you know, my website http://www.roccobasile.net/ focuses on educaiton, and the charities in whcih i am involved with, including the historical events at Children of the City, who reaches children at home, at school, on the streets and playgrounds, and at its facility. A dedicated team includes many certified professionals, along with 50 highly committed and trained volunteers who visit close to one thousand children every single month.

During the year we maintain current information on over 500 families in the community representing approximately 2,000 children, and we are able to be a positive influence to the young lives we reach every and every day.

--Rocco Basile

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maritza and Robert fred are frauds, they did not adopted anybody but me, daniel fernandez they only fostered me and adopted me for the monthly checks they get every month for my care... Robert abused me with his fists maritza also treated me like shit. They only foster for the money... I never finished school was never thought nothing about life, I was selling my body to get by and started doing drugs.. I have PTSD because of this family I'm in my late 20s and still sleeping on ppl sofas... There disgusting ppl and there still frauding the state.

Unknown said...

Maritza and Robert fred are frauds, they did not adopted anybody but me, daniel fernandez they only fostered me and adopted me for the monthly checks they get every month for my care... Robert abused me with his fists maritza also treated me like shit. They only foster for the money... I never finished school was never thought nothing about life, I was selling my body to get by and started doing drugs.. I have PTSD because of this family I'm in my late 20s and still sleeping on ppl sofas... There disgusting ppl and there still frauding the state.