Thursday, January 3, 2008

Be the Change you Want in the World

Happy New Year! There are many exciting things to be grateful for in this New Year. The charities that I am working with -- Children of the City and the Joe DiMaggio Committee for Xaverian High School, have many goals. I am looking forward to the January 4th Joe Dimaggio Award Gala and will write about it afterwards. The Joe DiMaggio Award Gala is the major fundraiser for Xaverian High (where I went to school.) Its program for students with learning disabilities, including the Ryken Program, is presently adopted by the New York State Regents as the model of all such endeavors. The Joe DiMaggio Award was established in 1999 by its chairman, Dr. Rock Positano, '76, with the approval of the DiMaggio Estate in memory of baseball legend Joe DiMaggio.

As I have said before, I feel my education allowed me to understand the adverse effects it had on my life and the life of others. Education is critical to allowing people to be sympathic to the needs of others. "Be the change you want to see in the World," said Gandhi.

My education allowed me to be able to investigate, research and read a number of books about diverse cultures and religions. This inspired me to be a positive change and it gave me the intuition to see how that positive change circulates back into my life.

I want my blog to inspire someone else to understand the importance of educating our youth so it will break the cycle of poverty, crime and drugs. I truely believe that educating our youth is the foundation for prosperity.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Rocco-I think what your doing is great-I woukld love to get involved-whats the best way to reach out to you? I work in the real estate field and am very interested in speaking with you too about your upcoming projects for 2008. All the best for the new year. You can reach me at gstruck@coregroupnyc.com